Our China internship program offers comprehensive professional development and cultural immersion for candidates looking to stand out from the crowd. We offer internships in Shanghai across all career fields and are proud to partner with a range of leading companies and organizations.
Our Shanghai internships offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable professional experience in one of the biggest cities in China, while boosting their CV and making important global connections. The opportunities are countless across all fields, from finance and law to business and engineering. Our Shanghai internship program will set you apart in competitive job markets around the world.
Program Dates & Fees
*Dates and program offerings will be confirmed for 2022 shortly.
2022 Program Start Dates
In-person programs expected to resume in January 2022.
Students applying through ISEP will receive $200 off the following program fees
Due to the rolling start-date options for these internships, there is not a single application deadline for programs offered in a specific term. However, students should note that applications are due 4 months before your intended start date for in-person programs.
|Duration||Standard Fees*||Summer Fees* (June & July)|
*Final cost may differ based on changes in currency exchange rates.
- Professional internship in your field
- Accomodation (private bedroom in shared apartment)
- Professional development workshop
- Personalized 1-on-1 career coaching
- Training materials
- Visa Assistance
- Airport pickup
- Cultural & social events
- Network of International Contacts
- 24/7 support
- Talkspace: 3 months access to a licensed therapist online
Private bedroom in a shared accommodation
Interns in Shanghai get to experience all that China has to offer while still enjoying the comforts of home, with a private bedroom in a fully-furnished apartment. Interns live in the city’s safest neighborhoods, alongside other interns and international students. Every apartment has all the necessities, including lockable bedrooms, cooking utensils and of course, WiFi. While living in Shanghai, interns will commute the way locals do – using the city’s world-class public transit system. Shanghai’s extensive metro and bus system makes it easy to get anywhere in the city in no time at all! Most interns commute between 30 and 60 minutes to their internship, by walking, biking, or taking the bus or metro!
Organizations that have hosted our interns include:
- Sony Music
- Make a Wish
- Grant Thornton
- Habitat for Humanity
- Quintessentially (largest lifestyle luxury brand in the world)
“This internship experience has been so valuable for my personal and professional development. The internship at my host organisation has given me the opportunity to be part of a team and be valued for my opinions even though I am just a student. I was able to learn and grow professionally by gaining constructive feedback from my colleagues on my Salesforce project. I was able to use my skill set and increase my Business Acumen while solving business problems.
Furthermore, The Intern Group helped me settle into Shanghai, as soon as I arrived I was made to feel like I was part of a family. The weekend trips and events are truly unforgettable as you get to expose yourself to new culture and traditions which I found really fascinating! I would highly recommend anyone who is wanting to explore while increasing their competitive edge in the job market to choose The Intern Group as they are absolutely amazing from every aspect of what they do!”
- Stefan Boyd, Swinburne University of Technology, Shanghai alum
You may earn academic credit for your internship in one of two ways:
1. Through your home institution. Work with your academic advisor at your home institution to understand requirements to earn internship credit. We have flexible internship options to help you accommodate your university’s requirements.
2. If your school or major will not grant credit directly, ask if you can transfer credit from another university. The Intern Group provides a transcript option through their partner Florida A&M University for a small additional fee. Ask your advisor for a list of requirements and eligibility.
China is an emerging economic powerhouse, and the newly-opened nation has rapidly drawn visitors from all over the world. Policies are constantly maturing to adapt to the growing volume of travelers. The ambiguity of China’s visa requirements can be tricky and stressful to navigate, which is why we have a visa specialist to work with each of our interns step by step through the process of obtaining the visa.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must hold a passport with at least 6 months validity
- You must be a current university student at the time of application, or a university graduate
- There are considerable local, implicit variation across different embassies despite visa regulations outlined on the official government sources
- Application must be filed in person or (if applicable) by domestic post or by a local visa agent to the China Embassy / China Visa Application Centre in your location
- Visa cost varies between RMB 1000 – 3000. The Intern Group’s program fee does not cover this and other associated expenses regarding the visa application
- The visa is valid for 3 months (single entry) and lasts the same as your program duration upon arrival
- The visa arrangement for citizens of the Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan vary slightly.
- Type F (cultural)
- Type X2 (short term study)
- Type S2 (private affairs)
* We will advise primarily based on your pre-arrival whereabouts. Normally, if you are not based in the UK or Australia, you will be instructed to sign up for and attend Mandarin Chinese classes as part of the visa requirement. Additional program fee will apply, based on your program duration.
Immigration regulations are constantly changing so please be advised that the above information may differ anytime.
If you are interested in learning more before beginning the application process with The Intern Group, please contact Heather Schloss, ISEP Student Services Officer.
How to Apply
- Submit an online application (no application fee)
- Be prepared with:
- Your Preferred Destination
- Your desired career field
- Business: General Business, Consulting, Entrepreneurship, Finance & Accounting, Hopsitality, Events & Tourism, Human Resources, PR & Marketing or Real Estate
- Humanities: Government & Politics, Journalism & Media, Languages & Translation, Law, NGOs & Non-Profits or Social Work
- STEM: Engineering, Environmental Sciences & Sustainability, IT & Computer Science or General Science.
- Arts: Architecture, Art, Photography & Design, Fashion, Television & Film or Theatre & Music
- Health Sciences: Medical Electives (in Medellín only), Public Health or Psychology
- Once you have entered the above information, you will be prompted to schedule an interview by phone or Skype with The Intern Group admissions team.
- After submitting the form you will be asked to upload your resume/CV via email