For those seeking a life-changing international internship, Canada is the perfect place, and there is no better city than Toronto. Our internship in Canada program offers comprehensive professional development and cultural immersion. Our Toronto internships span all career fields and we are proud to partner with a range of leading companies and organizations.
Toronto is an international hub for business, finance, human resources and culture. Our internship in Canada program offers successful applicants the chance to gain new skills and invaluable professional experience in one of the most important cities in Canada, all while making important global connections and boosting their resume. The internship opportunities are limitless in Canada’s most populous city. Our Canada internship program will make you stand out in competitive job markets around the world.
Successful candidates will develop professionally and personally, learning from industry professionals in leading internships. Toronto is the perfect place for driven, young professionals looking to take their career to the next level. We offer summer internships as well as programs starting every month throughout the year in Toronto, ranging from eight weeks to six months.
Due to the exclusivity of our partner companies, it must be noted that our internship in Canada program is selective.
Program Dates & Fees
*Dates and program offerings will be confirmed for 2022 shortly.
2022 Program Start Dates
In-person programs expected to resume in April 2022.
Students applying through ISEP will receive $200 off the following program fees
Due to the rolling start-date options for these internships, there is not a single application deadline for programs offered in a specific term. However, students should note that applications are due 4 months before your intended start date for in-person programs.
|Duration||Standard Fees*||Summer Fees* (June & July)|
*Final cost may differ based on changes in currency exchange rates.
- Professional internship in your field
- Accommodation (private bedroom in shared apartment)
- Professional development workshop
- Personalized 1-on-1 career coaching
- Training materials
- Visa Assistance
- Airport pickup
- Cultural & social events
- Network of International Contacts
- 24/7 support
- Talkspace: 3 months access to a licensed therapist online
Private bedroom in a shared apartment
Each of our interns in Toronto has their own private bedroom, and shares an apartment with other interns or young professionals. All apartments are equipped with bedding, basic cooking utensils and WiFi. The accommodation is located within about a 30-60 minute commute to most internships.
Organizations that have hosted our interns include:
- The Black Box Institute
- Lord Cultural Resources
- fluid Mobility
- The App Labb
- Girls 20
- Green Belt
- Action Against Hunger
- Little Rocket
- MediaOne Creative
- Twist Gallery
- Surge Innovations
- Brimronics Inc
Why intern in Canada?
Toronto is the world’s most multicultural metropolis. With more than half of the population born outside of the city and over 140 languages spoken, it’s one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world. Toronto is world-renowned as a financial powerhouse and a cultural melting pot. There is truly something for everyone in Canada’s largest city and economic capital.
Toronto is influential in everything – from finance and business, information technology and life sciences to art, design, fashion and much more. No matter your interests, the opportunities are endless here. Home to the Toronto Stock Exchange and Canada’s five largest banks, Toronto deserves its title as Canada’s financial and commercial capital. This is the place to be if you’re looking to gain practical experience and launch your career in finance or business. For those pursuing careers in the creative industries, Toronto’s cultural scene does not fail to impress. Home to Canada’s major broadcast networks, media outlets, art galleries and studios, Toronto has something for everyone.
You may earn academic credit for your internship in one of two ways:
1. Through your home institution. Work with your academic advisor at your home institution to understand requirements to earn internship credit. We have flexible internship options to help you accommodate your university’s requirements.
2. If your school or major will not grant credit directly, ask if you can transfer credit from another university. The Intern Group provides a transcript option through their partner Florida A&M University for a small additional fee. Ask your advisor for a list of requirements and eligibility.
Obtaining a visa is one of the most challenging aspects of spending time in Canada, and can definitely be a daunting task. However, interns with The Intern Group have the special benefit of working with our team of visa experts to ensure everything goes smoothly. Our North America team guides each intern step by step through the process of applying for the required visa, and has a wealth of knowledge about the ever-changing visa situation.
- Your nationality must be listed on one of the three lists below
- You must be a citizen with a valid passport for the length of your internship program
- You must demonstrate a permanent foreign address outside of Canada
- Ages 18-35
- You must demonstrate a clear criminal record by obtaining an official background check
- You must purchase medical insurance coverage in Canada for at least the duration of your stay
- You must be able to demonstrate supporting funds equal to or exceeding CA$2,500
- Each qualifying nationality has a finite quota for each year, so you will be advised at the admissions stages on your likelihood of acceptance. Please consult the links below to determine your likelihood of acceptance for the current year ahead of your admissions interview.
- Not all nationalities are accepted for this class of visa as it’s dependent on international treaties between treaties between Canada and selected countries. Interested people can use this page to see if their country is included.
- Work & Holiday Visa Eligibility
The application for this visa is online and the turn-around time varies per applicant. The cost of this visa is $250 CAD, apply directly to IEC. This visa is valid for the duration of the internship with a maximum length of 12 months. The actual duration permissible will be determined by length of insurance coverage. You will be instructed to apply for this visa immediately after admittance to the program, if you are accepted. US Citizens also participate in Work & Holiday, they receive an open work permit as a result of the process.
***Please be advised that the immigration authority in Canada, Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC), has the final say in who is admitted each year. All accepted participants have equal opportunity in achieving this visa, however The Intern Group (TIG) is also subject to the rules and decisions made by the IRCC. If program participants are unsuccessful in securing a visa with International Experience Canada (IEC) for the year in which they apply, they will be given the option to defer participation to the following year, redirect to another TIG destination, or request a full refund.***
If you are interested in learning more before beginning the application process with The Intern Group, please contact Heather Schloss, ISEP Student Services Officer.
How to Apply
- Submit an online application (no application fee)
- Be prepared with:
- Your Preferred Destination
- Your desired career field
- Business: General Business, Consulting, Entrepreneurship, Finance & Accounting, Hopsitality, Events & Tourism, Human Resources, PR & Marketing or Real Estate
- Humanities: Government & Politics, Journalism & Media, Languages & Translation, Law, NGOs & Non-Profits or Social Work
- STEM: Engineering, Environmental Sciences & Sustainability, IT & Computer Science or General Science.
- Arts: Architecture, Art, Photography & Design, Fashion, Television & Film or Theatre & Music
- Health Sciences: Medical Electives (in Medellín only), Public Health or Psychology
- Once you have entered the above information, you will be prompted to schedule an interview by phone or Skype with The Intern Group admissions team.
- After submitting the form you will be asked to upload your resume/CV via email