July 24, 2016 - Update: Incident in Munich, Germany
We are closing the request for ISEP students in Germany to check in “safe”. We have heard from most of our students in Germany, and based on the media reports we have sufficient information to conclude that ISEP students are safe. Our hearts go out to those affected.
July 22, 2016 - Incident in Munich
On July 22, 2016 around 6 p.m. local time, a shooting took place at the Olympia Shopping Center in Munich. Major news outlets are currently reporting there are multiple casualties and several wounded, but details are limited at this time. Local authorities advise anyone in the area to shelter in place, pending a police announcement that the situation is under control. ISEP staff are working to confirm the safety of students. ISEP Students—to be assured of your safety, health and well-being, please respond immediately to ISEP in one of the following ways:
- Reply to your ISEP email using the word “safe”
- Check-in on Facebook by posting on our closed page “safe”
- If you are not able to reply to the email or check in on Facebook please use one of these other means:
- Ask a friend to do so for you
- Call or text your host ISEP Coordinator directly
- Call or text your home ISEP Coordinator directly
- Text your name and “Safe” through WhatsApp or directly to 703-969-0069
Once you have confirmed your safety and whereabouts, we will notify your host and home ISEP Coordinators.
Your home ISEP Coordinator will then notify your emergency contact. We strongly recommend that you notify your parents and loved ones regarding your whereabouts and safety, to prevent additional worry.
For additional emergency resources, we urge you to:
- Review our ISEP Health and Safety Policy.
- Follow any instructions given by your host institution, embassy, local law enforcement and media.
- Speak with your ISEP Program Officer, Will Pope (email@example.com) if you do not feel safe and let us know your situation.
- Contact UHC Global, our global emergency partners, for help. You can connect with them directly at: – Toll-free in the U.S.: 1-800-527-0218 – Overseas call collect: 1-410-453-6330
Our hearts go out to all who have been affected by this incident. We will continue to monitor this situation and will provide more information as it is made available.