On April 7, 2017, an incident involving a truck striking pedestrians occurred in Stockholm, Sweden. The report from the Overseas Advisory Council indicates the following:
At approximately 1500 local time (1300 UTC) April 7, 2017, a truck drove into a crowd of people at Ahlens Mall, located in the Drottninggatan shopping neighborhood in central Stockholm. Police officials confirmed that the incident left at least two people dead and several others injured. Officials have closed the area as the situation continues to develop.
To be assured of your safety, health and well-being, please respond immediately to ISEP in one of the following ways:
- Reply to the email from ISEP using the word “safe”
- Check-in on Facebook by posting on our closed page “safe”
If you are not able to reply to this email or check in on Facebook, please use one of these other means:
- Ask a friend to do so for you
- Call or text your host ISEP Coordinator directly
- Call or text your home ISEP Coordinator directly
- Text your name and ‘Safe’ through WhatsApp or directly to 703-969-0069
Once you have confirmed your safety and whereabouts, we will notify your host and home ISEP Coordinators. Your home ISEP Coordinator will then notify your emergency contact.
We strongly recommend that you notify your parents and loved ones regarding your whereabouts and safety, to prevent additional worry. For additional emergency resources, we urge you to:
- Review our ISEP Health and Safety Policy.
- Follow any instructions given by your host institution, embassy, local law enforcement and media.
- Speak with ISEP if you do not feel safe and let us know your situation-
- Contact UHC Global, our global emergency partners, for help. You can connect with them directly at this number: - Toll-free in the USA: +(1) 800-527-0218 - Overseas call collect: +(1) 410-453-6330
Our hearts go out to all affected by this incident.
We will continue to monitor this situation and will provide more information as it is made available. We recommend following our website and #ISEPAlerts on the @ISEPStudyAbroad Twitter feed for real-time updates.