I chose to come to Botswana because I wanted my study abroad experience to be different. I wanted to truly put myself into situations where I might not be fully comfortable and work through them anyway. While the challenges living here have certainly not been small in number, the reward of the experience makes it worth it. If you’re an adrenaline junkie, Africa is the continent for you. Here is a breakdown of the wild things I’ve done so far on my adventure abroad.
- Traveled to five different countries: Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe
- Got 16 stamps on my passport, a visa and one residence permit waiver
- Went on a Mokoro trip through the Okavango Delta
- Saw four out of five of the ‘big five animals’ the elephant, lion, buffalo, hippo and leopard. I have not seen the leopard, but they’re the hardest to find!
- Got to see Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world
- Jumped 111 meters off a bridge twice at Victoria Falls, once bungee jumping and once on a bridge swing
- Snorkeled with sharks (no cage) in Durban, South Africa
- Climbed Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa
- Went whitewater rafting in Swaziland
- Went four wheeling across the Kalahari Desert in Namibia
- Survived a strike
- Attended a traditional wedding
- Took thousands of pictures
- Made memories that will be with me for the rest of my life
So if you’re looking for adventure, wildlife and unique travel opportunities, Africa can provide a home for you. Developing countries might not seem as comfortable or instantaneous as life in the United States, but the kindness of the locals is remarkable. The people will help you fulfill your dreams while allowing you to experience their world. If you want something totally different for your study abroad experience, consider Africa and even Botswana as your final destination.
Like this Story? Also like us on Facebook.