Posted on February 19, 2014 by isepkim Twice a year, ISEP invites students and alumni to enter their best photos from their study abroad experiences into our (very competitive) photo contest. These contests just so happen to be one of my most favorite things about working for ISEP’s marketing department because your photos provide such a vivid look into the genuinely unique experiences you all have through studying abroad with ISEP. My bucket list quadruples in length with every subsequent contest. That being said, every semester we struggle to select winners, so this time around we decided to shine a light on some of our favorite photos that we found award-worthy in their own right.
1. Most likely to cover an issue of Nat Geo: Photo by Charles Bourg, Loyola University New Orleans (USA) to University of Hyderabad (India)
Charles Bourg, University of Hyderabad, India; This was taken in Munnar, India, in the tea estates. After myself and three other students decided to veer off of the path for a better view of the landscape, I took a picture of the tea bushes from top-down on the hill. The tea could be purchased in town fresh in a cup or in large bags of dried leaves.
2. Most likely to actually cause you to LOL (in the best possible way): Photo by Chelsea Cyr, East Carolina University (USA) to Universität Bern (Switzerland)
Chelsea Cyr, University of Bern, Switzerland; While the guards of Prague, Czech Republic marched from one post to another, I caught up with them and attempted to march along. I don’t think they noticed, but I got an amazing picture to prove that I was a temporary palace guard, and I am even wearing the same colors. Sneaky, sneaky.
3. Most likely to make you incessantly Google “one-way non-stop flight to Italy cheap”: Photo by Aleksander Hansen, University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire (USA) to Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Italy)
Aleksander Hansen, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Italy; Away from the commotion of San Marco Plaza, the Rialto Bridge, and the Grand Canal, one can find a more tranquil side to the famous city. One afternoon I found myself in a quiet residential corner of Venice and snapped this picture of one of the city’s iconic gondolas.
4. Most likely to make you say “WOW!”: Photo by Trever Held, University of Alaska Southeast (USA) to Universiteit van Amsterdam (the Netherlands)
Trever Held, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Though not in the picture, many of my classes were located in a building along this canal. I’m fortunate enough to step out of my evening classes and be completely immersed in the beauty of Amsterdam’s canals at night.
5. Most likely to make you look twice, three times, this photo is moving, right?!: Photo by Sarah Johnson, Queens University of Charlotte (USA) to Universiti Pendikan Sultan Idris (Malaysia)
Sarah Johnson, Universiti Pendikan Sultan Idris, Malaysia; At least once a week, our school would have an event held by the music and arts department. Whether it was a play, the school band, or like in this picture, a local music group from the city Kuala Lumpur, it was always entertaining. Their style and the instruments were so unique, and it’s something I don’t think I will ever see in the United States.
6. Most likely to be on a calendar called “America the Beautiful”: Photo by Stefan Payer, Technische Universität Graz (Austria) to University of Utah (USA)
Stefan Payer, University of Utah, Utah, USA; Road towards June Lake with gorgeous fall colors.
7. Most likely to inspire you to get out there and achieve greatness (climb every mountain!): Photo by Anna Stausberg, Technische Universität Dortmund (Germany) to University of Alaska Southeast (USA)
Anna Stausberg, University of Alaska Southeast, Alaska, USA; On my way to reach the sun with snow shoes in November! This was my favorite mountain in Juneau which I was hiking up right at this moment. I remember that my trip started at 5 o’clock in the morning because it was a nine hours hike and it was getting dark by 3 p.m. It was freezing cold, but we reached the summit before lunch time. This trip was definitely worth! Mt. McGinnis: a mountain which I love and which will never forget.
8. Most likely to make you believe that winter isn’t so bad after all: Photo by Léa Vanstaevel, Université Jean Monnet de Saint-Etienne (France) to University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (USA)
Léa Vanstaevel, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA; Sunset in Santa Monica, California. Stop in Los Angeles while we were in our West Coast road trip. Wonderful weather even though it was during Christmas break.
9. Most likely to make you love winter so much that you want it to last forever: Photo by Carrie Logan, University of North Carolina, Charlotte (USA) to VU Amsterdam (the Netherlands)
Carrie Logan, VU Amsterdam, the Netherlands; I took this photo in mid-air while paragliding in the Swiss Alps! The mountains are so perfect that they almost don’t look real.
10. Most likely to make you sing America’s national anthem at the top of your lungs: Photo by Javier Cebrian, Universidad de Murcia (Spain) to Marshall University (USA)
Javier Cebrian, Marshall University, West Virginia, USA; I don´t even how I took this picture but it´s amazing. It was really tricky to put my tripod in the correct place and shoot! Actually, I have to say that I did 4 trips to take this one! But again, it was worth it! And I was on my own!
And now for the winners of the Fall 2013 Photo Contest. Give it up for Fan Favorite Savannah Fender, Fan Favorite Runner-up Arlen Eugene Pratz-Albert, ISEP Staff Pick Seoyeon Choi, and Most Creative Annika Moedl.
Are you an aspiring travel photographer too? Not to worry. Again, the ISEP Photo Contest is a recurring, bi-annual tradition. You can look forward to entering your photos into the next contest in May 2014. Now, photography isn’t all about composition and aperture settings, discover the resume boosters hidden inside your perfectly placed pixels.
Like this Story? Also like us on Facebook.