Driven young professionals eager to make their resume stand out in an emerging market should look no further than Medellín for an international internship. Colombia is leading the pack in innovation, technology, and business, making it an obvious choice for an intern. Colombia is ripe with natural resources and with the second largest population in South America, leading investment banks such as JP Morgan have labeled Colombia “the next star of the continent.”
Experience in an emerging economy will give you valuable first-hand knowledge, appreciated greatly by future employers. Having partnered with the Colombian government and a range of Latin American blue chip companies, we offer leading international internship opportunities for the most talented and ambitious intern. Colombia is a hub for law, government, NGOs, business and finance.
Program Dates & Fees
*Dates and program offerings will be confirmed for 2021 shortly.
2021 Program Start Dates
May 1, June 5, June 19, July 3, July 17, August 7, September 4, October 2, November 6, November 27
Students applying through ISEP will receive $200 off the following program fees
|Duration||Standard Fees*||Summer Fees* (June & July)|
*Final cost may differ based on changes in currency exchange rates. Program fees do not include visa fees, flights, insurance or daily food & drink.
- Professional internship in your field
- Accomodation (private bedroom in shared apartment)
- Professional development workshop
- Personalized 1-on-1 career coaching
- Training materials
- Visa Assistance
- Airport pickup
- Cultural & social events
- Network of International Contacts
- 24/7 support
- Talkspace: 3 months access to a licensed therapist online
Each program participant will have their own private bedroom in a shared apartment with other interns or young professionals. All apartments come with bedding, kitchen appliances, and basic WiFi, and will typically be within a 30 to 60-minute commute from your office.
Organizations that have hosted our interns include:
- Sony Music
- Make a Wish
- Grant Thornton
- Habitat for Humanity
- Quintessentially (largest lifestyle luxury brand in the world)
“I completed an 8 week internship in Medellin, Colombia with The Intern Group and can honestly say it was one of the best experiences. There is nothing bad I can say about my internship or experience in the country.
My internship was at the Consejo de Medellin and was exactly as it was described to me and the work I completed was to my expectations and was to a high standard.
The Intern Group was very professional and had everything organised including a range of activities for the interns to do such as trips to Guatape and regular dinners and other events. Overall everything from the social aspect to the work and experience in the city was perfect.
I highly recommend completing an internship in Colombia to anyone who is interested and The Intern Group is the best way to do it.”
- Feroz Ibrahimi, Bond University, Medellin alum
You may earn academic credit for your internship in one of two ways:
1. Through your home institution. Work with your academic advisor at your home institution to understand requirements to earn internship credit. We have flexible internship options to help you accommodate your university’s requirements.
2. If your school or major will not grant credit directly, ask if you can transfer credit from another university. The Intern Group provides a transcript option through their partner Florida A&M University for a small additional fee. Ask your advisor for a list of requirements and eligibility.
Applying for a visa to live abroad, even for a short time, can be a frustrating and challenging task. Interns on our Colombia program have the benefit of our team’s local expertise and visa knowledge. Each of our interns has access to personalized guidance through the visa application process, helping to eliminate one of the biggest barriers to leaving your home country!
Visa Requirements for Colombia
All applicants require a visa to do an internship in Colombia. Certain nationalities can get it at the airport, while others must request the visa before traveling to the country.
Please be aware that the maximum amount of time that you can be in Colombia is 180 days in any calendar year (this includes any other time that you’ve been in the country during this period).
Permiso de Ingreso y Permanencia PIP2: (Visa given at the airport)
This visa is given for 90 days to any of the 90 nationalities listed below and it’s free. You will require a supporting letter that we will provide you with.
For interns doing longer programs, you can get this visa at the airport and then renew it in Medellín with a letter that we will provide you with. It costs around 40USD and the process takes one morning. This extension visa is called Permiso Temporal de Permanencia PTP2 and can be given for a maximum 90 days more. The renewal process is your responsibility. 90 days is not the same as three months and you should start counting from the day you land in a Colombian airport.
The nationalities allowed to get the visa on arrival at the airport:
- Antigua and Barbuda
Immigration regulations are constantly changing so please be advised that the above information may differ anytime.
If you are interested in learning more before beginning the application process with The Intern Group, please contact Heather Schloss, ISEP Student Services Officer.
How to Apply
- Submit an online application (no application fee)
- Be prepared with:
- Your Preferred Destination
- Your desired career field
- Business: General Business, Consulting, Entrepreneurship, Finance & Accounting, Hopsitality, Events & Tourism, Human Resources, PR & Marketing or Real Estate
- Humanities: Government & Politics, Journalism & Media, Languages & Translation, Law, NGOs & Non-Profits or Social Work
- STEM: Engineering, Environmental Sciences & Sustainability, IT & Computer Science or General Science.
- Arts: Architecture, Art, Photography & Design, Fashion, Television & Film or Theatre & Music
- Health Sciences: Medical Electives (in Medellín only), Public Health or Psychology
- Once you have entered the above information, you will be prompted to schedule an interview by phone or Skype with The Intern Group admissions team.
- After submitting the form you will be asked to upload your resume/CV via email