Melbourne is a commercial powerhouse, Australia’s busiest port, and home to the headquarters of five of Australia’s ten largest corporations. It is also Australia’s artistic heart and the center of its creative industries. We offer a diverse range of internships in Australia, as Melbourne is a leader in biotechnology, publishing, finance, fashion, logistics, technology, marketing, and many other industries.
Whether you’re looking for a short term summer internship program or a longer program packed with hands-on experience, there’s something for everyone in Australia. We partner with a range of organizations and companies from small startups to multinational corporations. Our internships in Australia range from six weeks to six months with start dates year round, allowing you to pick what suits your needs best.
Program Dates & Fees
*Dates and program offerings will be confirmed for 2021 shortly.
2021 Program Start Dates
June 19, July 3, July 17, August 7, September 4, October 2, November 6
Students applying through ISEP will receive $200 off the following program fees
|Duration||Standard Fees*||Summer Fees* (June & July)|
*Final cost may differ based on changes in currency exchange rates.
- Professional internship in your field
- Accomodation (private bedroom in shared apartment)
- Professional development workshop
- Personalized 1-on-1 career coaching
- Training materials
- Visa Assistance
- Airport pickup
- Cultural & social events
- Network of International Contacts
- 24/7 support
- Talkspace: 3 months access to a licensed therapist online
Our interns in Melbourne will get to enjoy student-style living during their internship, but with a glamorous twist! Each intern has their own private bedroom, and the accommodation includes a free gym, swimming pool and multiple student common areas to relax in and meet people. Interns in Melbourne live less than 30 minutes walking to the heart of the city, and can take advantage of everything to offer!
Organizations that have hosted our interns include:
- Sony Music
- Make a Wish
- Grant Thornton
- Habitat for Humanity
- Quintessentially (largest lifestyle luxury brand in the world)
“I completed a marketing internship with The Intern Group in Australia for ten weeks this summer. The experience exceeded my expectations in every aspect and completely changed my life! I can honestly say that I know this will always be the best summer and most incredible experience of my life.
I learned so much during my time in Australia with WeTeachMe and I was able to cross so much off of my bucket list.
I met people that I’m still friends with and talk to every day. In fact, I’m traveling to visit one of them soon! I developed professional skills that now set me apart as I begin to search for post-graduation jobs. When I tell someone that I interned in Australia, they immediately take an interest in a way they normally wouldn’t have.
Yes, the experience was overwhelming and challenging in nature, but The Intern Group was there for me every single step of the way, but still allowed me to be independent when possible.
During my time in Australia, I even had the opportunity to travel on the weekends. My workplace was willing to be flexible with my schedule, so I got to visit the great ocean road, New Zealand, Brisbane, and Sydney, aside from living in Melbourne. My favorite memory of the entire experience was getting to snorkel for the first-time through Brisbane’s shipwrecks on Moreton Island.”
- Dezaray Barr, Indiana Wesleyan University, Melbourne alum
You may earn academic credit for your internship in one of two ways:
1. Through your home institution. Work with your academic advisor at your home institution to understand requirements to earn internship credit. We have flexible internship options to help you accommodate your university’s requirements.
2. If your school or major will not grant credit directly, ask if you can transfer credit from another university. The Intern Group provides a transcript option through their partner Florida A&M University for a small additional fee. Ask your advisor for a list of requirements and eligibility.
Australia is a highly desirable destination, and people from every corner of the globe seek to live, study and work there. The exclusivity of Australia means that the visa requirements can be tricky to navigate, which is why we have a visa specialist to work with each of our interns step by step through the process of obtaining the visa.
- You must hold a passport of one of these nationalities HERE or HERE
- You must be at least 18 years old and under 31 years old
- You must demonstrate an upper intermediate level of English
- You must demonstrate a sufficient, personal financial standing (~ AUD 5,000+ or equivalent) at the time of application submission
- You must hold adequate health insurance cover for the entire time you are in Australia
- If you are outside Australia when you apply, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted
- If you are in Australia when you apply, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted
- Online application is accepted, except for People’s Republic of China’s nationals
- Some visas are subject to an annual quota whose occupancy rate is non-disclosable by the Department of Home Affairs
- Visa cost is ~ AUS 485. The Intern Group’s program fee does not cover this and other associated expenses regarding the visa application
- This visa is valid for 12 months and lasts for 12 months upon arrival New Zealand nationals do not need a visa to take part in our Australia program
- Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
- Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
Immigration regulations are constantly changing so please be advised that the above information may differ anytime.
If you are interested in learning more before beginning the application process with The Intern Group, please contact Heather Schloss, ISEP Student Services Officer.
How to Apply
- Submit an online application (no application fee)
- Be prepared with:
- Your Preferred Destination
- Your desired career field
- Business: General Business, Consulting, Entrepreneurship, Finance & Accounting, Hopsitality, Events & Tourism, Human Resources, PR & Marketing or Real Estate
- Humanities: Government & Politics, Journalism & Media, Languages & Translation, Law, NGOs & Non-Profits or Social Work
- STEM: Engineering, Environmental Sciences & Sustainability, IT & Computer Science or General Science.
- Arts: Architecture, Art, Photography & Design, Fashion, Television & Film or Theatre & Music
- Health Sciences: Medical Electives (in Medellin only), Public Health or Psychology
- Once you have entered the above information, you will be prompted to schedule an interview by phone or Skype with The Intern Group admissions team.
- After submitting the form you will be asked to upload your resume/CV via email