Our internship opportunities in Japan offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable professional experience in one of the most important cities in Asia, all while growing their global network and boosting their resume. The full-time internship opportunities are endless in Tokyo, spanning all career fields, from human resources to event management and engineering.
If you are looking to visit the Asia Pacific region and launch your career with a leading internship, Japan is the obvious choice. Here you will find the best of the world’s elite: top-tier law firms, world class fashion designers, leading engineers and financial giants. The city has been described as one of the world’s three “command centers” alongside London and New York. It is the cradle from which companies like Sony, Canon and Honda rose to immeasurable heights. Japanese culture is like no other and the tailored professional skills you’ll gain through an internship in Tokyo will make you stand out from your peers.
Program Dates & Fees
*Dates and program offerings will be confirmed for 2021 shortly.
2021 Program Start Dates
June 5, July 31, August 14, August 28, September 11, September 25, October 23, November 20, December 4
Students applying through ISEP will receive $200 off the following program fees
|Duration||Standard Fees*||Summer Fees* (June & July)|
*Final cost may differ based on changes in currency exchange rates. Program fees do not include visa fees, flights, insurance or daily food & drink.
- Professional internship in your field
- Accomodation (private bedroom in shared apartment)
- Professional development workshop
- Personalized 1-on-1 career coaching
- Training materials
- Visa Assistance
- Airport pickup
- Cultural & social events
- Network of International Contacts
- 24/7 support
- Talkspace: 3 months access to a licensed therapist online
Private bedroom in a shared apartment
Interns in Tokyo live in a private bedroom in a shared apartment. The apartments are professionally cleaned prior to your arrival, and include biweekly professional cleaning services. Of course, each accommodation includes the necessities, such as bedding and WiFi. You will find all the essential shops and a good variety of restaurants in the vicinity. We take great care to ensure that all our housing options are located within a reasonable commute (about 60 minutes is normal) to your work by metro or walking.
We provide you with accommodation in the safest and best areas of Tokyo. Some of the areas we place interns in are Adachi-ku, Koto-ku, Setagaya-ku and Kawasaki City, Kanagawa. The exact location of your accommodation won’t be confirmed until a few weeks before your arrival.
Private studios are also available upon request at additional cost. If you wish to stay in a private studio please inform us at least 8 weeks prior to your start date and we will provide you with further details.
Organizations that have hosted our interns include:
- Sony Music
- Make a Wish
- Grant Thornton
- Habitat for Humanity
- Quintessentially (largest lifestyle luxury brand in the world)
“I wish I could extend my time in the program! This was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. The friends I made and the work experience I got was second to none. Plus you get to explore all aspects of Tokyo on the weekends which is super awesome. The events that are planned are really well thought out and really elevate your experience. I would happily do this experience again in Tokyo or somewhere new.
I would recommend this program to anyone wanting to try something new and get out of their comfort zone whilst building experience in their chosen career. After doing this experience i have not only grown more through industry experience, but also I have managed to develop more as a person by trying new foods and exploring places I never thought I would.”
- Gus van Manen, University of Portsmouth, Tokyo alum
You may earn academic credit for your internship in one of two ways:
1. Through your home institution. Work with your academic advisor at your home institution to understand requirements to earn internship credit. We have flexible internship options to help you accommodate your university’s requirements.
2. If your school or major will not grant credit directly, ask if you can transfer credit from another university. The Intern Group provides a transcript option through their partner Florida A&M University for a small additional fee. Ask your advisor for a list of requirements and eligibility.
As a participant on The Intern Group’s program in Tokyo, you will have access to our visa specialist, who will guide you through everything you need to know about interning in Japan. Our team will support you through the process of obtaining it, to ensure you have a smooth arrival to Tokyo!
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must hold a passport with at least 6 months validity
- An unpaid internship that lasts fewer than 90 days is regarded as a voluntary activity and can be conducted on a visitor’s status
- You are not required a visa to take part in our Tokyo program, if your nationality is on THIS LIST
- If your program lasts more than 90 days, you are required to leave and re-enter Japan, also as a visitor, before your first entry permit expires
- Application must be filed in person or (if applicable) by post to the Japanese Embassy in your location
- Visa cost is ~ Japanese Yen 3,000. The Intern Group’s program fee does not cover this and other associated expenses regarding the visa application
- This visa is valid for 12 months and lasts for 90 days (single entry) upon arrival
- Temporary Visitor Visa
Immigration regulations are constantly changing so please be advised that the above information may differ anytime.
If you are interested in learning more before beginning the application process with The Intern Group, please contact Heather Schloss, ISEP Student Services Officer.
How to Apply
- Submit an online application (no application fee)
- Be prepared with:
- Your Preferred Destination
- Your desired career field
- Business: General Business, Consulting, Entrepreneurship, Finance & Accounting, Hopsitality, Events & Tourism, Human Resources, PR & Marketing or Real Estate
- Humanities: Government & Politics, Journalism & Media, Languages & Translation, Law, NGOs & Non-Profits or Social Work
- STEM: Engineering, Environmental Sciences & Sustainability, IT & Computer Science or General Science.
- Arts: Architecture, Art, Photography & Design, Fashion, Television & Film or Theatre & Music
- Health Sciences: Medical Electives (in Medellín only), Public Health or Psychology
- Once you have entered the above information, you will be prompted to schedule an interview by phone or Skype with The Intern Group admissions team.
- After submitting the form you will be asked to upload your resume/CV via email