Program Officer for Latin America, Regina Z, takes us on a journey to Colombia!
So, you want to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, but you have no idea where to start or which countries to consider. Does that sound about right? Naturally, you might initially think of the more traditional countries, but I challenge you to open your mind and try something a little different. After all, studying abroad is your chance to think outside the box… and get inside the culture!
As the Program Officer for Latin America, I recently had the opportunity to travel to Cali, Colombia to visit our member institution, Universidad Icesi. This was my first time traveling to Colombia and let me tell you – Cali exceeded all of my expectations! I would strongly encourage anyone to visit this beautiful country.
Wondering what you can do in Cali?
- Go salsa dancing! Did you know that Cali is considered the Salsa capital of the world? On my first night in Cali, I had the privilege of going to the largest salsa night club in Cali, La Sucursal del Cielo, and dancing the night away into the early hours of the morning. Now, if you’re anything like me and have two left feet, this might be a bit daunting, but fear not! You will pick it up quickly and next thing you know, you’ll be a pro and going salsa dancing every weekend.
- See an amazing view of the city! Grab some friends and hang out at the Mirador de Sebastián de Belalcázar to get one of the best panoramic views of Cali! Or visit the Iglesia de San Antonio, Cali’s oldest church, that sits atop the Colina de San Antonio, where you will get yet another breathtaking view of the city.
- *Enjoy some late-night empanadas! * After dancing the night away, you might need some late-night snacks to re-energize. Order some delicious empanadas and luladas from the Obelisco while sitting on the terrace and enjoying the view and sounds of the Rio Cali. While I’m at it, let me just say that the food in Colombia is to-die-for. I am salivating just thinking about it!
- Take a weekend trip to Popayán! While Cali is a beautiful and large city (third largest city in Colombia), sometimes it’s nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for the weekend. The colonial city of Popayán is located just a couple hours south of Cali and is a nice site for a relaxing weekend. Many students have stayed in the inexpensive and lovely ParkLife Hostel, which is situated in the main square of the Popayán historic area.
And what about Universidad Icesi? Here are just a few of many reasons why you should consider this university for study abroad:
- Universidad Icesi is strong in a number of fields, including the humanities, social sciences, engineering, business (soon-to-be AACSB accredited!), and natural and health sciences.
- This modern university’s classrooms are equipped with top-of-the-line technology.
- Take small classes (max of 35 students/class) for optimum learning.
- Enjoy the terraces and cafes on campus.
- Many extracurricular activities! Through the office of Bienestar Universitario, Icesi offers clubs, classes, community service opportunities – and much more! Sixty percent of students participate in activities that range anywhere from cooking classes, to dance classes, to art classes, to music classes, to various sports clubs! You can also find activities that specifically focus on promoting your emotional, social, and spiritual growth. The best part? All of these activities are GRATIS (FREE)! -Year-long students can find possible internship opportunities. -Supportive staff from the International Office. >“The International Office offers amazing service. They are always willing to help and I got the feeling that I could come to them with any problem or question I had.” — Vera H, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
So what are you waiting for?! Submit your application TODAY and get outside the box and inside the culture while living the vida caleña!
Like this Story? Also like us on Facebook.