Depending on the laws in your home country, it may be necessary to designate an individual, usually a parent, to take care of banking or financial aid matters on your behalf while you are abroad. Find out what the proper procedures are and make these arrangements before you depart.

For U.S. residents, here is the IRS’s information on Power of Attorney.