The consular officers at the embassy or consulate in your host country are there to advise and help you in many different situations, especially if you are in serious trouble. Duty officers are on-call around the clock. They cannot serve as attorneys or give legal advice, but they can help you find adequate legal representation.

How Your Consul Can Help

  • If your passport is lost or stolen, report the loss to the local police and go to your nearest embassy or consulate on the next business day to apply for a new one. If you have a police report, photos, and proof of identification (or someone who can identify you), bring them with you.
  • If you need emergency medical care, the consular officer will help you get in touch with a doctor or clinic.
  • If you are arrested, ask permission to notify the consular officer at your nearest embassy or consulate. If you are turned down, keep asking politely but persistently. The consular officer will visit you, advise you of your rights according to local laws, and contact your family and friends if you ask them to.
  • If you become destitute abroad, the consulate will help you get in touch with your family, friends, or bank so you can arrange to have funds sent to you.

Review your Host Country Handbook for embassy and consulate contact information.