English Language Requirements for ISEP Programs

There are 5 ways students coming from a country where the primary language is not English can demonstrate proof of English proficiency:

  1. Eligible and unexpired TOEFL iBT scores (TOEFL iBT Home Edition test also accepted)
  2. Eligible and unexpired IELTS scores
  3. Copy of High School diploma from an English-speaking country
  4. Copy of Undergraduate diploma from an English-speaking country
  5. If you do not possess any of these 4 documents, you are only eligible to apply for programs that state they accept alternatives such as the ISEP English Language Evaluation (LPR) which should be completed by a Professor of English language.

Validity of IELTS/TOEFL scores

Scores must be valid up to the start of the program in order to be eligible. If scores expire prior to the start of the program, students will have to take a language test and provide more recent scores.

TOEFL My Best Scores and TOEFL iBT Home Edition test are often accepted by host universities as approved language evaluations, as long as the scores are less than two years old. Contact your Student Services Officer if you have any concerns regarding specific programs.

ISEP English Language Evaluation (LPR)

The ISEP English Language Evaluation (also known as a Language Proficiency Report) is used to determine proficiency in a foreign language. Speaking, listening, reading and writing skills are evaluated using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), which measures language proficiency from A1 (beginner) to C2 (native speaker).

You can request a Language Evaluation under the “Documents” section of your application. Click “Request a Language Evaluation” and enter the name and email address of a current or recent professor or language instructor. They will get an email inviting them to complete a short online form evaluating your English language skills. You may also be asked to upload an English writing sample.

Most ISEP programs that accept the Language Evaluation will require at least a B2 score, unless the university specifies otherwise. If a university explicitly lists the sub-scores in the Academics section of the program page, then your scores will need to meet each sub-score in order to be eligible for that program.

Cambridge Scores

Cambridge scores must be taken within 5 years of the program start date, unless a host university specifies a that it requires a more recent score. Universities will indicate whether or not Cambridge Scores are accepted within the Academics section of each program page.

Duolingo Scores

Universities will indicate whether or not Duolingo tests are accepted in the Other Academic Conditions section of the program pages. Of the universities that accept Duolingo, most will require that the Duolingo English Test be taken within the last 2 years.

Special Cases

As ISEP students, applicants will need to adhere to the requirements and evaluations as outlined on the ISEP program pages. If students have any questions about specific programs, they should contact their Student Services Officer for more information. Students should not contact universities directly regarding admissions questions or information.

Home University Exceptions:

University of Malta

Because the co-official language of Malta is English and English is the language of instruction at the University of Malta, outbound students do not need to submit English language scores.

American University of Sharjah

When applying to the United States, students from the American University of Sharjah may submit expired TOEFL/IELTS scores (from their admission materials for AUS). Students applying to the US can usually supplement these expired scores AND a letter from the AUS coordinator, otherwise they will need to submit an LPR or a new TOEFL/IELTS. Students from AUS will not be able to submit expired TOEFL or IELTS scores when applying to programs outside the United States.